Springburn District Library And Museum was built as a public library in 1904; in later years a museum was set up in the reading room. The original museum was the first independent community museum in the city and told the story of the rise, decline and rebirth of the industrial community of Springburn.
It highlighted the importance of railway manufacturing to the area and its place in the global context. It continued to provide a community-based resource for historical reference throughout this period but due to financial difficulties and funding cuts it finally closed in March 2003 and the collection was dispersed between other Glasgow museums.
The disused museum has not been used as a civic cultural space ever since, but now various community groups are looking to purchase the building through an asset transfer to transform it into an independent multi-use community space delivering engaging projects throughout the area.